Sunday, October 28, 2018

My Great Grampa and the Pirates

Somehow this one got lost in the shuffle and saved but never posted. I give to you "My Great Grampa and the Pirates" by Janine aged 8 or 9:
____________________

I thought I would share this fascinating piece of literature that I found while digging through old papers searching for a report card for GISHWHES in August. I give you "My Great Grampa and the Pirates" (sic) circa 1988 or thereabouts, complete with scratch-and-sniff sticker.



It's pretty old, from about second grade I think, so I'll transcribe it, complete with spelling errors (as far as the typed word will allow) for you:

my Great Grampa and the PiRates
_________________________
long ago my Grampa went
on a big Ship to china.
Some Pirets attacked the
Boat Because they wanted
to rob the Boat and kill
the peopl on the Boat
and Grampa helped fight
the Pirets.
and he got home safeley
and Gramma DiDn't
Let him go back
and won day he went Back and got
home Safeley.

_____________
This is actually a true story.  My great grandfather (his second wife always signed letters from them " love, Nana and Grumps") was working on a ship that was attacked by pirates.  It even made the newspaper, but since I want to blog about it I cannot for the life of me figure out where I put the clipping.  The government denied the existence of any pirates and claimed that Grumps and his friends had made up the story.  Decades later, when he was in his last days of life, Grumps hallucinated that the helium balloon at the end of his bed was the mast of the pirate ship that had attacked.  If the pirates weren't real, why would he flash back to that event on his deathbed?  I for one believe his story was true.

4 comments:

  1. That is kind of fucking cool, actually. Oh. Hi, btw.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi!
      I think I remember why I didn't post this initially - I was trying to find the article from the newspaper, but never did.

      Delete
  2. Nobody believes us old guys. Its not that our experiences are very rare, it's just that we've lived long enough to have some cool things happen or we've coincidentally run across semi famous people. Why it was just shortly after they invented the wheel and I remember it like it was yesterday...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And you walked ten miles to school each day, in two feet of snow, uphill both ways! (At least that's what my mom always claimed. :D )

      Delete