Thursday, October 11, 2012

Scaredy-Dog

This is Trooper.  





He lives upstairs.  Up until about a month ago he was terrified of my stairs and would not come downstairs to visit me unless he came via the inside stairs, which  he thought were evil until a few months ago.

On Tuesday I got home from work to be greeted by a giant overly enthusiastic dog.  He was acting almost too happy to see me, and I was beginning to think he was going to knock me over with one of his enthusiastic leaps.


He followed me down to my front door, then into my suite.  After checking out the place, he did his usual slow climb onto the couch... you know the one... first one paw, maybe his chin on your knee, then two paws, and before you know it, there is an entire German Short Haired Pointer laying next to you on the couch... He was overly affectionate and 20 minutes later when we heard evidence of people moving around upstairs, he started trembling.  The only other time I've seen him act like this was back at the beginning of the summer when he dug up the grass in the back yard and P yelled at him.  I was there for the scolding, there was a raised angry voice, but nothing more.  Trooper however, acted as if P was trying to beat him.  He tried to completely climb onto my lap while I sat at the top of the stairs, and shook like he was terrified.

This time, when P whistled for Trooper to come upstairs, I had to shove the dog off of the couch and towards the door.  He went as far as the bottom of the stairs, then when P called out for him, made an about face.  He tried to climb over my computer and onto my lap... not an easy feat for such a large dog.


After a great deal of encouragement, he finally went upstairs.

I called up to P: "did he get into trouble for something earlier today?"

"Yeah, he did."

"Thought so.  He was trying to climb onto my lap."

Ah, it's lovely to have such a scaredy-dog around to protect us from evil-doers!

No comments:

Post a Comment